Feb 2021 - Virtual Mental Health First Aider course
Time & Location
About the Event
Tuesday 23 Feb @ 09.30 - 11.30,
Wednesday 24 Feb @ 14.00 - 16.00,
Thursday 25 Feb @ 09.30 - 11.30 and
Friday 26 Feb @ 14.00 - 16.00
MHFA won’t teach you to be a therapist, but it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
You’ll learn to recognise warning signs of mental ill health, and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone while keeping yourself safe.
You’ll also learn how to empower someone to access the support they might need for recovery or successful management of symptoms. This could include self-help books or websites, accessing therapy services through their GP, their school or place of work, online self-referral, support groups, and more.
What’s more, you’ll gain an understanding of how to support positive wellbeing and tackle stigma in the world around you.
· Why Mental Health First Aid?
· The Mental Health First Aid action plan
· What is mental health?
· Impact of mental health issues
· Stigma and discrimination
· What is depression?
· Symptoms of depression
· Risk factors for depression
· Depression in the workplace
· Suicide figures
· Alcohol, drugs and mental health
· First aid for suicidal crisis
· Non-judgemental listening skills
· First aid for depression
· Treatment and resources for depression
· What is an anxiety disorder?
· First aid for anxiety disorders
· Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
· Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
· Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
· Cognitive distortions and CBT
· Personality disorders
· Eating disorders
· Self-harm What is psychosis?
· Risk factors for psychosis
· Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
· Bipolar disorder
· Warning signs of developing psychosis
· Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
· Treatment and resources for psychosis
· Recovery and building resources
· Action planning for using MHFA